This entire week the kids have all been really sick. NO FUN at all. They missed school and I am hoping that this weekend will finally be the last few days they have needed to be on the mend.
So when I was writing the grocery shopping list this week I was trying to think of something different for a weekend day lunch. Since the weekdays are so busy with school and sports and after school clubs, and Jacob working 45 minutes from home the weekdays are sometimes just a blur. So it is so nice to be able to stay home and relax on the weekends and spend some family time together.
So this week when I was thinking of ideas for the list macaroni and cheese came to mind since it is a good comfort food, especially when you are not feeling good. I like mine cheesy and creamy, not dry and bland.
I have never made homemade mac and cheese before, not on the stove, in the oven and especially not in the crock pot. I figured it couldn't be that hard, but still did a little recipe scoping on pinterest and the internet and I think I came up with a really good one.
It cooked so fast in the crock pot, I started it after breakfast and it was ready by lunch time.
Here is what you need.
- 16 oz. box of macaroni noodles
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans of evaporated milk
- 2 tbs salt
- 16 oz block of velveeta cheese - cut into cubes
- 1 stick of butter
- Cook macaroni and then drain.
- While the macaroni is cooking turn the crock pot to low so it can start heating up.
- As soon as the macaroni is done and drained add it to the crockpot.
- Add the butter - slice it up to add smaller chunks
- Mix the butter in. Since the macaroni is hot it will melt the butter right away.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Cook on low for about 2 hours - stirring from time to time.
Once mine was all done I did not want the cheese to burn so I just turned the crock pot to warm until we ate it.
It was so good and creamy. So good. The kids loved it. It was so easy to make too. I think this will become a regular for us.
This would be a great dish for pot lucks and family get togethers. It cooks so fast in the crockpot, and easy to travel with as well.
Have you ever made mac and cheese in the crock pot before?
Let me know if you try this dish and how it came out.